posted on August 13, 2015 15:10
I recently had the opportunity to prepare a meal for the Women's Board Culinary Series at Franklin Park Conservatory. For dessert we made an Italian classic - Tiramisu with espresso dipped lady fingers and mascarpone cream.
Tiramisu Soak Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of brewed coffee
- 1 oz. Kahlua liquor
Mascarpone Cream Ingredients:
- 3 fI. oz. egg yolks
- 4.5 oz. sugar
- 1 lb. mascarpone
- 4.5 fI. oz. heavy cream
- 2 fI. oz. egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 Tbsp. gelatin, powdered
- One pinch of kosher salt
- 1 recipe soak
- 1 recipe mascarpone cream
- 32 ladyfingers
- 8 oz. chocolate, 64% cacao
- Mix soak ingredients together and set aside.
- Beat mascarpone till creamy in large mixer. If mascarpone is too soft, whip it till it has thickened.
- Whip yolks and sugar to ribbon state (3 times volume, light ribbony), this can whip for 5 or more minutes to get light enough- in small mixer.
- Whip egg yolk mixture into the mascarpone in 3 parts, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. Mix on speed 2.
- Bloom gelatin in cold water. Be sure to stir vigorously to avoid chunks.
- Whip heavy cream to medium peaks and whip into mascarpone mixture on speed 2.
- In a clean bowl, begin to whip egg whites. Slowly add sugar to whip till light and frothy but does not hold a shape.
- While eggs are whipping, heat gelatin in microwave to 1:10 or until it has dissolved into a liquid and is very hot.
NEXT STEPS MUST BE DONE QUICKLY TO AVOID GELATIN SETTING UP TOO EARLY
- Quickly pour gelatin mixture into egg whites while whipping. Mix a few second to combine.
- Whip whites into mascarpone mixture on speed 3 quickly. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix thoroughly.
IF GELATIN HAS BEGUN TO SET IN EGG WHITES, DO NOT ADD TO MASCARPONE. RETURN TO STEP 6
Return to Kitchen & Drink